The front side for 413 Market Street. At various times this particular building, and this building may not have been the building that was there earlier in the 20th century, was a tavern on one side pizza shop on the other side apartment above it.
Looking north from Drury Lane to W. 5th St.
The original Bell telephone company building. You can compare how the was altered in this picture what it was in the picture above. Personal opinion the alteration didn't improve the appearance of the building.
Where the green door, beside the tree on the left, would likely be street address 102 W, 5th Street. That would be the W. 5th Street entrance to the upper floors of the Brookes Building. The store front next to it is 104 W 5th Street where the Harmony House Musical Instruments was located in the 1950''s and into the 60's. See map below.
This is the interior 104 W. 5th St. as it looked in 2016. Noticing the row of supports down the middle of the space it is possible that this was two storefronts and might have been 102 and 104 W. 5th St. On the far right at thne back you can see what ap;pears to be a hole in the wall. To find out more read on. We photographed the interiors of each and every one of these buildings and they will be added to this series. The URL for the interior of this store is directly below:
Probably 1940's. Hall's musical store is probably 104 W. 5th St. and the future location of the Harmony House.
Sanborn Fire Insurance map, page 2 May 1929 - Oct 1947. That is the way it is actually dated so there is no way to know an exact year. It does accurately give the street addresses along W 5th Street that matches the picture directly above. We would suggest that the music store in the picture above would match with
Just to fit this in: 1980 City Directory
E 4TH ST BEGINS W 4TH ST BEGINS
401-03 Sayre Electric Affiliates407 Judy's Styling Salon 4071/2 Vacant 409 Ralph's Pizza Shop 411 E L Area Democratic Headquarters 411/z Vacant 413 Town Tavern restr 413½ Vacant E DRURY LA BEGINS W DRURY LA BEGINS 415 C A T V Of Ohio Valley Inc telev cable 415½ Apartments 1 Johnston Nancy 2 Carter Steve 3 Watson Dan 4 Petyak Geo 417 Resnick's Furniture Store 419 Eckert Don Camera Mart TM 423 Book & Bible House Brookes Building Rooms 1 Brookes & Fannin lwyrs 2 Brokaw G Wm lawyer 4 Mc Mahan Ruth Mrs smstrs 5 Locke Darrel piano studio 6 Hartt Shirley cps FLOORS 3rd fl Ohio Valley Business College 4th fl Vacant 427 Chris Place do E 5TH ST BEGINS W 5TH ST BEGINS
The next five pictures were taken in 2011.
Street addresses come in Street addresses go. Prior to and including the 1970 city directory this would have been 425 Market Street. Sometime between publication of the 1970 city directory and the 1980 city directory this became 427 Market Street. The 1990 city directory listed it as 427 Market Street. For a good portion of the 20th Century this was Robins and Sant Men's Clothing Store.Robins and Sant
The inside. We photographed the interiors of each and every one of these buildings and they will be added to this series. The URL for the interior of this store is directly below:
However there was at least one point in time when It was the Book and Bible House.
Maybe the 427 mystery is somewhat resolved or maybe it ids deepened. The Market Street Entrance to Brookes Building. At sometime the street addresses were changed evidently. On the 3 City Directory listing in included in this they list the Brookes Building as 419-25. Those directories were 1941, 1958-59, 1962 and 1970. The door in the picture lists 427 at the address. Quite frankly we are loosing faith in the city directories. For instance, the picture shows a Men's shop next door to the Book and Bible store but no such men's shop is listed in the city Directory.
CONTINUE ON TO The Market Street Project 5