Liverpool Township Sec. 32
A small tract along Irish Ridge Rd. contains the graves of early area residents, including Matthew Riley who died in 1820 at age 37.
Riley, a War of 1812 veteran, and his wife, Nancy McKinnon Riley, moved to the area around 1805 and bought 160 acres along the New Lisbon Rd. Nancy, daughter of local pioneer Joseph McKinnon, tried to operate the farm after Matthew's death, but finally had to sell. She moved to Gallipolis to live with a daughter.
Nancy died there in 1880 at age 98, and at her request was buried on the farm next to her husband.
The Riley Cemetery lies on the Hoffman family property about a half mile from Route 267 at the rear of the Tri-State Coonhunters Club.
East End, East Liverpool
Another early burial ground was the "McKinnon Cemetery" near present Penn-sylvania Ave. and Boyce St. One and a half acres were donated in 1832 by George Dillon McKinnon for the people of the Disciples Church and poor families of the area.
This location is said to be where the Kelly Funeral Home later stood. McKinnon was bom near Calcutta in 1795, the first white baby in Columbiana County. He was married to Ada Babb, a daughter of John Babb, onetime owner of Babb's Island.
As the town grew, this cemetery was abandoned, and most of the bodies transferred to other cemeteries, beginning in 1903. Forty-seven graves were listed in a county account of burial sites published in 1982. The dead included eight McKinnons, seven Dobbs and six Prices.
East End, East Liverpool
A second East End cemetery was reportedly utilized in the area of Virginia Ave., and contained the graves of John Babb and his wife.
According to George D. McKinnon of Mulberry St., grandson of George McKinnon, in a News-Review interview in 1899, the graves were on grounds later used for the Knowles, Taylor & Anderson Co. which produced fire brick and sewer pipe.
McCord's History of Columbiana County reports John Babb, who purchased the island from the government, died Aug. 18, 1829, aged 61. Babb owned and resided on tract along the river extending from the northeast part of "Fawcettstown" to the John Bever lands which reached to the Pennsylvania line. Babb's home was on the site of the later George Harker pottery along River Rd. John Babb had a blacksmith shop, possibly on the island.
Mrs. Babb was buried beside her husband when she died in 1863, the last person interred there, according to McKinnon when he was interviewed.
Thomas F. Anderson joined Isaac and Homer Knowles and John N. Taylor in 1886 to form the sewer pipe firm which built its plant on the David Boyce farm, near Boyce St. and Virginia Ave. Anderson resided on the property, and McKinnon indicated the site was near a portion of tracks leading to the clay mine and engine room of the plant.
The company was sold in 1899 to the American Sewer Pipe Co., and Anderson remained as manager until 1902. McKinnon recalled the tract had originally been owned by a man named Emsley. Among graves he remembered there were three children of Fred Easenhood (?).
Another historical authority reports a cemetery close to the river on the site of the present Berman Scrap Metal Yard. Tom Jones, in a column in The Review many years ago wrote of a George McVeigh, a resident of a log house along the river on what later became Ohio Ave. Said to be of Portuguese descent, he was buried in the McKinnon Cemetery as the first white man interred there.
Jones described the cemetery as "just off the Pennsylvania railroad tracks just west of Mulberry St." He said a headstone at the grave was discernable at the site.
West End, East Liverpool
Several years before Leonard Pickal of Jethro died in 1885 at age 84, he obtained a tombstone and had it inscribed for his grave near Edwards Ave. in the West End.
Pickal had come to "Liverpool" before 1834, and obtained land in Jethro Hollow, developing rental housing. He built his home there around 1860, and was the first in the city to use natural gas in a residence -- utilizing a gas well at the tract.
Known as a charitable and pious man, his name was applied to two streets in the neighborhood - Pickal Alley and Leonard St. He died Nov. 24, 1885, following a heart attack, not of a snake bite, as legend had it. Nor did he "dig his own grave," as some believed, but obtained the tall stone with an underground vault to hold his casket.
Pickal was born in 1801, and would have been too young for the War of 1812 and too old for the Civil War, challenging stories labeling him a veteran. The family reportedly came from England.
The grave stands overlooking Edwards Ave., and some five feet of the weathered and vandalized stone still stands.
Spring Grove Cemetery
Lisbon St., Pleasant Heights, East Liverpool
Spring Grove Cemetery was laid out in May 1885 when George Wells Sr. and Samuel Myler Sr. purchased 8.75 acres at the top of Lisbon St. from M. O. and Mary Fisher.
Jacob Vandyne was the first buried there in November 1885. The cemetery was incorporated March 6, 1886.
Among graves is that of David G. Blythe, noted 19th Century artist, who died at Pittsburgh and was originally interred at the old city cemetery on Fifth St. The remains were relocated to Spring Grove when the old burial grounds were closed.
More than 7,600 graves are in the cemetery.
St. Aloysius Cemetery
Lisbon St., Pleasant Heights, East Liverpool
St. Aloysius Cemetery was established around 1883 when 414 acres were bought on Pleasant Heights during the tenure of Fr. John P. Carroll of the Catholic Church (1879-93) The first burial was reported in 1884 at the church tract adjoining Spring Grove Cemetery along Lisbon St.
Some earlier Catholic burials were recorded elsewhere prior to this at the old Fifth St. burial ground and other locations, including a small graveyard next to the church. St. Aloysius contains some 1,900 graves
Liverpool Township Section 36
Private burial site.
B'nai Jacob Cemetery
Radio Heights, East Liverpool
The B'nai Jacob Jewish cemetery opened on a section of the Robert Boyd farm along Campground Rd. in December 1922.
The first burial was Segman Weinstein, 53, of East Liverpool who died at City Hospital. Weinstein, who left a wife and seven children in Hungary and a brother, Max, at Midland, had been in the U.S. nine years.
Robert Boyd, a former County Commissioner, sold the fractional part of three acres at the northern end of his land for the the cemetery. His grandfather and others of the Boyd family were buried in a plot elsewhere along Campground Rd.
Calcutta United Presbyterian Cemetery
St Clair Ave. Ext., East Liverpool
The Calcutta U.P. Church was organized in 1815, with the Rev. Elijah N. Scroggs as the first minister who also served West Beaver and Four Mile Church in Beaver County, Pa. He was buried in the church cemetery after his death in 1851.
The grounds contain some 3,200 graves.
Long's Run Cemetery
St Clair Township Section 22, Longs Church Rd.
Longs Run Presbyterian Church was organized in 1800, first in Calcutta crossroads, then a mile or more east near the Longs Run stream.
In 1810 a log structure was constructed, and about 10 years later a brick building replaced it. The present brick church was built in 1868.
The cemetery was laid out around 1811 on donated property. First burials were three boys - John and William Coburn and Perry Burke.
Revolutionary War veterans known buried are Samual Quigley, Paul Fisher and James Smith.
More than 1,300 graves are in the tract.
Continued in Part 3