Route 170 south of Fredericktown
John Jackman and Jacob Wollam were among organizers of the Christian Baptist Church, later Disciples of Christ Church, at Fredericktown in 1827.
The church was constructed in 1829, and a new building was erected in 1853 in the northwest corner of St. Clair Township Section 14, a mile and a half south of the village. It was moved to Fredericktown in 1877.
John Jackman was an elder and first minister of the congregation which adopted the name of Christian Church.
In 1847, he along with trustees David Figley and Isaac Chamberlin purchased one acre from Solomon and Mary Foulk for $25 to establish a cemetery atop Fredericktown Hill.
First to be buried was Joseph Stockdale, brother-in-law of John Jackman, in 1847. The site was never part of Jackman lands, and was probably named in honor of the church pastor for 35 years who died in 1866.
The cemetery contains more than 200 graves
Columbiana County Memorial
Irish Ridge Rd. and Route 170
The former 96-acre Gaston Farm along old Route 30 near Calcutta was obtained by Columbiana County Memorial Park which was incorporated in 1935.
Planned as a park type burial grounds without headstones, it features stately trees, flower beds and modern roadways. The designer was Albert R. Haenny and George Bloomgren resident engineer.
William J. Powell was president of the first trustees with offices in the Odd Fellows Temple on Sixth St. A perpetual care fund was established with National City Bank as insurance against neglect and decay which sometimes overtake older cemeteries.
After fire destroyed a one-story office building at the grounds in 1943, the stone shell was used for storage until 1973 when it was remodeled into a chapel. Charles Bibbee, resident manager, died suddenly in October 1973, and his was the first burial in the new chapel.
The chapel is named in honor of Earl Roush, a trustee until his death in 1993.
In the 1960s St. Aloysius Catholic Church provided 14 figurines representing the Stations of the Cross. Later brick and stucco cubicles were installed for figurines which had been sent from Italy to the church where they had been displayed on the sanctuary walls for many years.
Outlined with shrubs and lights is a huge cross laid out on the hillside grounds and visible for some distance. A Catholic section has been added along with a Babyland area and angel statue for infant graves. Among various improvements over the years is a fountain at the entrance.
Olive Wright, resident office manager since Mr. Bibbee's death, reports 9,979 graves, with burials averaging 165 annually.
Tenth St. Heights, Wellsville
The first burial site in Wellsville was a tract owned by William Wells on Main St. in the center of the town at the time, now around 8th St. First buried was a little child around 1800 in a grave unmarked.
Wells' will provided that only blood relatives would be interred there. A stone wall surrounded the grounds, the entrance inscribed "Erected by William Wells in 1842 at a cost of $750."
After 1870 no burials were permitted in the site which contained nearly 300 graves, and 15 years later it was vacated by the heirs, and the ground used for private homes.
In 1825 Wells donated an acre to the town as a "burial place forever." Located near the later railroad shops around 12th St., it served the community until 1865. Then, 20 years later it was condemned, the graves moved and the land sold for "secular purposes".
Some sources suggest another early cemetery was located at 5th and Main, later site of the City Hall.
In 1866 (?) the City of Wellsville purchased 11 acres on a hill west of the community and laid out Springhill Cemetery. In 1890 the city bought 38 more acres. Later additions brought the size to 57 acres?
Among notables buried there are James Reilly, distinguished lawyer and Civil War General who commanded the 104th Ohio Volunteer Regiment.
Many of the early records are incomplete, but the first burial listed is M. William Bye in 1817 relocated from downtown, and Jane Brooks buried Oct. 23, 1866. More than 11,200 graves are on the grounds.
The city-owned cemetery is supervised by a committee of Council. Robert Freeman is the superintendent.
St. Elizabeth Cemetery
10th St. Heights
Wellsville's Catholic Cemetery is St. Elizabeth adjacent to Springhill. More than 1,200 graves are in the site.
Continued in Part 4