Five major rinks
There have been five large rinks in East Liverpool. The first of these was built by John Wick on the future site of the American theater, Sixth Street. The second was the 5th St. rink. An even larger rink was on fourth Street on the future site of the Woodbine laundry. It was called the Jumbo Rink and was probably the largest ever built here. The Bradfield rink Sixth Street was a fourth constructed (skating and basketball), while the Winland is the last rink in 1946.
In 1905 the Grand Opera House on Sixth Street was remodeled into a roller skating rink. The historical record isn't clear if that is the above mentioned Bradfield Rink or it was a third Sixth Street Skating rink.
Fifth Street Rink
Picture left to right, IOOF building, Murphy and Erlanger store, John Wyllie & Son Pottery, William Brunt residence, 5th St., Rink on right, Wells confectionery on corner.
The above picture was taken by the city of East Liverpool.
The team of horses, at right, ran away during a circus parade, turned into an alley, and knocked a woman down, injuring her very badly. She later sued the city in this photo was taken as evidence.
The fifth Street Rink, built 1884, demolished 1899, served throughout its existence as a center for indoor sports, dancing, political meetings, religious revivals etc. William McKinley, 25th president of the United States spoke here as did several Ohio governors. Phoenix club dances were generally held here. The indoor sports held here included roller skating contests, and bicycle races.
The Rink Band here photographed, about 1888: Back, left to right, Thomas Blackmore, Peter Joyce, William L Manley, Joseph S Peterson, Front Row left Chalmer Peterson, DeTemple, Jacob Herman