1497 John Cabot claims land including Ohio for England.
1670 LaSalle, seeking Passage to India, claims Louisiana (which includes Ohio) for Louis XIV of France.
1748 First Ohio Land Company granted 200,000 acres by England. This land included what is now East Liverpool.
1749 Pierre Joseph Celeron, commanding general of New France, hears of England's grant to the Ohio Land Company. Sets out to" bury more leaden plates to support France's claim to the area. These events resulted in a series of wars among the French, English, and the native Indians of this area. By 1770, the English had subdued both the French and Indian forces.
1770 George Washington set out to mark boundaries of English territory: spent second night in what is now East Liverpool.
1798 Thomas Fawcett purchases 1,100 acres for $3,651 along the Ohio River, believing that the choice location would attract settlers. Lays out plans for St. Clair, a town to be named after Governor St. Clair.
Thomas Fawcett built a flour mill, which attracted settlers to St. Clair. Among these settlers were Thomas Ashten, who opened a store; Angus McBane, a farmer and tanner; William Larwell, a lawyer; Harvey Heath, a blacksmith; William Moore, an undertaker; and Aaron Brooks, who opened a grist mill run by horsepower.
1803 A major setback -- New Lisbon named as county seat. Many settlers left St. Clair for New Lisbon.
1816 Thomas Fawcett sells original settlement to his youngest son, John. John Fawcett, John Pemberton, and Daniel Moore attempt to revive interest in St. Clair by advertiseing lots for sale, Efforts pay off -- more settlers attracted to the town.
1817 Another setback -- enthusiasm dies off, and Fawcett, Pemberton and Moore move away.
1823 Cleveland business men want first-class wagon road to the Ohio River. One possible route is to St. Clair.
1823 Route of wagon road goes through Wellsville instead of St. Clair. Settlers leave St. Clair for Wellsville.
1823 Village left with only six families and two single males
From 1824 - 1829 there was a period of growth that was greatly' due to the efforts of William G. Smith, grandson of Thomas Fawcett. Smith saw the. possibility of' catching the business that might come from the other side-of the river, and worked to build a sturdy ferry landing. Smith's attempts paid off --.a post office was re-established, and the name East Liverpool was given to the village to distinguish it from another Liverpool in Medina county.
Between 1830 - 1834, although there were not many people living in East Liverpool, business thrived.'William Smith had a graded road built between East Liverpool and Lisbon. Boat-building became an important industry due to cheap lumber. East Liverpool became a major shipping point for flour and staples.
1834 East, Liverpool has recovered. Philip Cooper becomes first mayor.
1834 January 4 -- East Liverpool incorporated as a town.
1834 June 3 -- Liverpool township created.
1834 First church built
1834 November 24 -- Sandy & Beaver canal started. At approximately the same time, railroad fever also hit East Liverpool. These two projects drew many settlers and business men, but the Panic of 1937 cut all efforts short.
1837 James Bennett, potter, comes. The ceramics industry is born.
1840 Bennett's first kiln built and in use.
1848 First common school built.
1864 First graded school organized.
1864 Town Hall erected
1902 Hospital opens