East Liverpool Historical Society

Patterson Field

East Liverpool, Ohio

Submitted to Gary Kramer

Quimby's Cruising Guide

For story of stadiums located on American Rivers

The East Liverpool High School Football Stadium is located on the Ohio River about 35 miles down stream from Pittsburgh, Pa. From the bleachers one can not only see the river, but can also view the only privately owned toll bridge on the Ohio River. The span, which presently costs 75 cents to cross, connects Ohio and West Virginia. It is owned by the Homer Laughlin China Company, manufacturers of world famous Fiesta Dinner Ware.

Once known as West End Park, the plot of ground housing the stadium, was originally owned by Monroe Patterson (1853-1924), a local industrialist who picked up an option on the land, then donated it to the local school system in December of 1923. The site became known as the "Monroe Patterson Athletic Field" and was officially dedicated November 15, 1924 when ELHS played Leetonia (Ohio).

A second dedication took place on November 10, 1928 when the football playing field was moved from an east - west direction to a northeast - southwest position. New fencing was added at that time along with a large white monument, which actually houses a drainage system, used when the Ohio River backs up on to the playing surface and into the locker rooms. Unfortunately, this has happened numerous times.

On November 3, 1934, a third dedication took place at Patterson Field following construction of a 4,500-seat, $73,000 concrete bleacher. Built with both federal and local funds, the edifice is 110 yards long and houses all the field maintenance equipment underneath along with locker space for the East Liverpool "Potters."

The team derives its nickname from the area's ceramic industry, which was established in the community in 1838 by an English potter, James Bennett. It is believed that only one other American high school, located in Morton, Ill., uses the name (for the same reason, but on a smaller scale). However, the professional soccer team in Stoke-on-Trent, England, Bennett's hometown, also goes by the "Potters."

Notable players and coaches to have participated at Patterson Field include: Woody Hayes, Oklahoma Coach Bob Stoops (playing for Youngstown Cardinal Mooney H.S. in 1977), Martins Ferry's Lou Groza of Cleveland Brown fame and Lou Holtz who was graduated from East Liverpool High School in 1954.

Bernie Allen, considered the school's finest athlete of all-time, originally appeared as a junior drum major at the stadium in 1947 before quarterbacking the 1956 football team, which scored the most points (407) in school history. Allen went on to quarterback Purdue University before playing ten years of major league baseball.

For the seasons of 1924 '25 and '26, future Ohio State athletics director, Dick Larkins played for the Potters. Larkins, who headed up all Buckeye sports from 1947 to 1970, became best know for hiring Woody Hayes as the school's football coach over Paul Brown, who coveted the job in 1948.

Another East Liverpool High School graduate who made his name at The Ohio State University, John Tatgenhorst, began his career as a musician at Patterson Field while still in grade school. He currently is a professional music composer/arranger and producer in Chicago where he is president of his own musical production company. He writes and arranges music for local and national radio and television commercials and for films. Over 500 arrangements and compositions of John's are published by twelve publishing companies, and his music is known worldwide. Since 1964, John has written hundreds of arrangements and compositions for the OSU Marching Band that include the "Go Bucks" and other cheers along with the official rock song of the State of Ohio, "Hang on Sloopy."

At least one National Football League game was played at the stadium on August 21, 1942 when the Pittsburgh Steelers played the Cleveland Rams to benefit Civil Defense. According to former Columbiana County Sheriff: Robert "Brassie" Berresford, who attended the game and still has his program, the Steelers coached by Walt Kielsing, lost to Coach Earl "Dutch" Clark and his Rams 35-6.

The Homestead (Pa.) Grays, a team that featured Josh Gibson, of the Negro Baseball League played on the field, as did the House of David, a semi-pro team representing a 20th Century religious commune in Benton Harbor, Michigan.

Baseball was discontinued when a new set of aluminum football bleachers was built on the baseball portion of the field in the mid-1960's.

Frank "Digger" Dawson

East Liverpool Potter Football Historian


No story of Patterson Field would be complete without mentioning Eddie "The King" Feigner (March 25, 1925 - February 9, 2007) who was an American softball player. Feigner (pronounced FAY-ner) was born in Walla Walla, Washington as Myrle Vernon King. He first assembled his four-man team, known as "The King and His Court," in 1946 and took on all comers, first in the Pacific Northwest and then around the country. Feigner retired from pitching after suffering a stroke in 2000 but continued to tour with his team, acting as emcee and telling stories while the team played.

The King and His Court touring team played over ten thousand softball games in a hundred countries and achieved widespread fame similar to that of the Harlem Globetrotters.

Feigner's miraculous records claim 9,743 victories, 141,517 strikeouts, 930 no-hitters and 238 perfect games. The Washington Post described him as "the greatest softball pitcher who ever lived."

"The King and His Court" was a four-man team: pitcher, catcher, first baseman, and shortstop. When asked why the team had four members, Feigner answered that they couldn't play with three: if all three got on base, there would be no one available to come to bat.

Continue to Successful first year for Lady Potters.


This site is the property of the East Liverpool Historical Society.
Regular linking, i.e. providing the URL of the East Liverpool Historical Society web site for viewers to click on and be taken to the East Liverpool Historical Society entry portal or to any specific article on the website is legally permitted.
Hyperlinking, or as it is also called framing, without permission is not permitted.
Legally speaking framing is still in a murky area of the law though there have been court cases in which framing has been seen as violation of copyright law. Many cases that were taken to court ended up settling out-of-court with the one doing the framing agreeing to cease framing and to just use a regular link to the other site.
The East Liverpool Historical Society pays fees to keep their site online. A person framing the Society site is effectively presenting the entire East Liverpool Historical Society web site as his own site and doing it at no cost to himself, i.e. stealing the site.
The East Liverpool Historical Society reserves the right to charge such an individual a fee for the use of the Society’s material.