|History of Columbiana County, Ohio - Harold B. Barth, Chapter XXIV, MISCELLANEOUS, Historical Publishing Company 1926|
Two outstanding hail storms have visited East Liverpool in the years of its existence. The first of these was on June 10, 1870 when frozen pellets to the depth of four inches fell within a three-mile space from the old Abner Martin farm on the east and Kuntz's Crossing on the west and extended an immeasurable distance north and south. On that date late in the afternoon, as he and two boy companions were searching for a lost cow between the site of the present George L. McClintock home on the Lincoln Highway and Ross Meadows, W. A. Calhoun, pottery architect, then 14 years old, had to take refuge under a tree, so fiercely continuous was the icy dropping The later walk homeward through the shifting, melting mass in bare feet was an ordeal yet vividly remembered after more than half a century.
The second occurred on the afternoon of March 19, 1921 and preceded a heavy downpour. So sudden was the frigid visitation that persons were caught in automobiles from which they were with difficulty realized to the protection of adjacent buildings. A great deal of damage was done within the city limits when windows of homes, churches and business houses were broken all over the city. The spectacle the following day and for an interim afterwards was such as to suggest an attack by an invading army that generously used the grape and canister of pre-world war days.