Second Street Looking West. The building on the right is the remains of Mrs. Tusy Farmer's "Department" Store.
The East Liverpool Review
October 29, 1936.
The Sunlit Road
By Tom T. Jones
The old Davidson opera house in Second street which is now being razed under the sledges of a Canton house wrecking concern, was the largest structure in the village of East Liverpool When it was erected in 1881-82.
Although intended for a theater where traveling road shows could appear, the structure was never used for a single performance. Mitchell Davidson, father of the late George E Davidson, attorney and William Davidson. a former mayor, the builder, met with financial reverses before the structure was completed.
The stage of the opera house on the second and third floors of the building was 38 feet wide and 29 feet deep. The auditorium was about 77 feet wide and about 50 feet deep. Above the auditorium floor was a gallery originally intended to seat several hundred persons.
Adjoining the stage were six dressing rooms, erected in two tiers. Each of these dressing rooms had auditorium entrances and doors leading to the stage. The dressing rooms were never completed, the lath having been applied when work was halted on the building. The stage was supported by heavy wooden beams. The building at the rear was arched so that wagons and drays could be driven close to the stage for the loading and unloading of scenery, baggage and other equipment.
After the opera house plan had been abandoned eight apartments of 14 rooms were provided on the second floor of the building. Eight more rooms were provided on the third floor. On the street or main floor there were eight mercantile rooms. A full basement was provided under the entire building.
Mr. Davidson sold the building to W. S. McCullough of Wellsville who In turn disposed of it to the late John Schlelter about 41 years ago. Mr. Schielter conducted a furniture store in the building until his death when the business passed to his son, Walter Schleitor, one of the present owners.
Second Street looking east. Davidson Opera House.
A great straight on view. "This photo shows the Davidson Opera House in East Liverpool, Ohio. The reverse is dated 1936 which happens to be the year it was torn down." Picture courtesy of Laurel Hollow Park net, Newell W. Va.
Laurel Hollow Park Net, Newell, W.Va.
Tearing down the building.