1868 -- THE C. C. THOMPSON POTTERY COMPANY – 1922
The C. C. Thompson Company originated under the name of Thompson & Herbert in 1868. The venture was backed by Josiah Thompson one of the pioneer merchants of the town. Cassius C. Thompson was a son of Josiah Thompson and Col. J. T. Herbert had been a crockery salesman for William Brunt, Jr. The new firm began with the manufacture of Rockingham and Yellow Ware and continued in that line long after all the other potteries had turned to white ware. The buildings were of the most substantial kind and up to date for that day in the way of equipment, in fact they are still an essential part of the present Thompson plant. This plant is situated on the river front just east of the present Chester - East Liverpool bridge.
About this time B. C. Simms and John C. Thompson came into the firm and it was then known as C. C. Thompson & Company. Cassius Thompson died very suddenly of heart failure, April 24th, 1905, and his son George C. Thompson came into the firm to represent his father's interests. The firm was turned into a stock company and incorporated as The C. C. Thompson Pottery Co.
This company continued the manufacture of C. C. and Yellow Ware till but few years since but had added the making of a fine grade of ware which they made for years but later producing Semi-Porcelain and Decorated goods. The Thompson plant is one of the few which have continued under the same management since the beginning of the plant. They enjoy an extensive trade and are producing goods which are fully as good as any of the kind upon the American market.