The year, 1876. The Central School Building on the corner of 4th street and Union Street stand out. The Thompson House on the Northwest corner of 3rd and Walnut is under construction as is the Deidricks house on the Southeast corner of 4th and Broadway. Enhanced picture compliments of Ohio River Life Blog, Matt Stewart.
Magic Lantern Glass Slide picture from collection of Dr. Charles H. Birkett. Date of Picture unknown. Picture taken in front of the Josiah Thompson Store which was located at the northeast Corner of Third Street and Broadway. The Thompson Store would become the Thompson House also known as the Thompson Hotel.
This particular picture is from the same collection of glass slides and shows the northwest corner of Broadway and 3rd Street.
THOMPSON HOUSE OR HOTEL
Looking down Broadway towards the River, Elks Parade 1899 between 3rd and 4th streets. The Thompson Hotel is left with the odd looking top.
Southwest corner of 3rd and Broadway. Probably the 1890s. Dr. Birkett Glass Slides.
This house was located on the north side of Broadway between 3rd and 4th street.
1895. The Deidricks home, 4th and Broadway where the new High School (now Kent State) was built in 1914. This home was used as a school for a brief period of time. Dr. Birkett Glass Slides.
From Hills and Kilns: CHAPTER 6 - 1890-1910-237 Without a bond issue, the Board of Education had to remodel three rooms in the former Deidrick house, which stood on the site proposed for the high school. Conditions in the house, of course, were not as conducive to good education as in a school building. In September of 1906 it was reported that" . . . pupils have been compelled to do their writing while leaning over a heater. There are no desks. There are no seats. Neither is there any relief in sight." The following month the board leased a room in the public library for a classroom and began to use several small rooms in the basement of the central building in addition to the Deidrick house. At this time the total enrollment in the city's schools stood at 3,488. Despite well developed arguments by the board of education, the superintendent, and the endorsement of numerous influential citizens, the bond issue was once again defeated in November of 1906. A third attempt to pass a bond issue for the erection of a high school failed in 1907, although voters did approve the free textbook system. In December the board purchased two portable school buildings, which accommodated about seventy pupils each, to ease the problem of overcrowding.88 The East Liverpool Board of Education
The Potters bank building was built in 1880-81, Central School building was built in 1895.
The Bradshaw home, 1890s probably. This is where the present day Library now stands, the Northwest corner of 4th and Broadway.
A better view of the Bradshow home. The structure to the right is the Bradshaw Hall & Theater.
Originally the Homer Laughlin home, later the Meredith's residence. Directly across Broadway from the Bradshow home.
The Bradshaw Hall (Meeting House) and Theater. This building was used as a meeting place by the Congregation of the Christian Church after the fire. It was located across the Street from Brunt home. The date in the picture would be the date the building was bult, not the actual date of the picture. A Standard Oil service station replaced this building in the 1890s. It was replaced by the Cooper Insurance Company building in the late 1900s.